08 September 2010


Sometimes there's nothing more comforting than a roasted chicken for dinner. Our family recipe always delights and it seems that every family has a favorite. 

We wash the bird with salt to really clean itinside and out. Then I pat it dry and add a pat or two of butter under the skin of the breast. I generously salt and pepper the outside and inside of the bird. I stuff the cavity with half a lemon, which I also squeeze inside the bird. I add a few sprigs of thyme or rosemary (or both) as well as a half of an onion. I truss the bird, drizzle some olive oil, and pop it in a 350-degree oven. Every fifteen minutes or so, I baste the bird with the juices from the bottom of the pan. If the juices start to gather too much at the base of the bird, I remove some of the excess drippings into heatproof glass. After about 45 minutes, I pump up the temperature to 400 degrees and wait about 20-35 minutes until the bird is golden and crispy. Afterward, I let the chicken roast rest for about ten to fifteen minutes before carving to serve.


[1. fig and plum]

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin